Everyone can now get a great camera and lenses. Post production at home in native 2k, with full After Effects integration opens up endless grading and VFX possibilities. Technology has transformed film making. A few hours on Vimeo will illustrate just how mind bogglingly sophisticated the world has become. So, when working in drama, how [...]
I recently picked up on this interview with Canadian director David Cronenberg, about working with actors. His main point is not so much working with actors, but casting. This chimes in with all of my experience too. In the crucible of production, there is rarely time to spend ‘finding the character’, or workshopping the performance, [...]
What attracts the actors YOU need to YOUR screenplay? In this session from the London Comedy Writers’ Festival, Jessica Hynes and Stephen Mangan discuss with director Declan Lowney exactly what works for them on the page. Essential viewing for screenwriters in comedy and comedy drama. This session is released as part of the run up [...]
UPDATE – With 1 hour to go, John reached his goal! Thanks to everyone who contributed. Actor and Producer John Schwab has always been a great supporter of everything I have done. And he was one of the very first contributors to Gone Fishing. And so when I got this email from him today about [...]
I got an email this morning from Oli Lewington. Some of you who have kept up with the blog may know that Oli suffers from Cystic Fibrosis and last year, before shooting Gone Fishing, he wrote to me. I had posted a blog about my fears of failure, and Oli wrote to me encouraging me, [...]
One of the great things about Film Festivals are all the new friends you make. It’s a wonderful democratisation, where everyone, superstar or newcomer, can prop up the bar together and just share in the joy of movies. New allegiances are forged (famously Tarantino and Rodriguez met on the festival circuit), and that in turn [...]
I just spent the morning with our lead actor, Bill Paterson, as we re-recorded the story of how his character Old Bill, caught the biggest pike in the world. In the narrative, this takes place in a car, so we re-recorded it in his car just outside his house. I used my trusty old Sennheiser [...]
A few hours ago, the camera truck arrived and I took a pic of the contents for this blog. Blimey! Look at it all. Two 35mm cameras and all the bits. Not much like an HDV camera and tripod is it! Ok. It’s 11.30 and I will be up at 5.15 tomorrow morning. Breakfast at [...]
So. The final day before the shoot. And so far, bedlam. Without doubt this is the most hectic day of any shoot, and it’s frantic. We managed to get our leading man, against all odds – Bill Patterson. I am over the moon as Bill is a warm and charismatic presence who is ideal for [...]
Great News. We have just confirmed James Wilson for ‘Gone Fishing’, in the part of Simon. We auditioned James some time back, and when he came into the room, he just lit it up. We also interviewed about 100 other kids, most of whom were solid little actors who would easily take an episode of [...]
Final organisational touches are now coming together. This is a kind of fluidity to production that is very tiring – dates, crew, cast, locations, all interdependent, all changing regularly. It’s most frustrating when people pull out knowing the huge impact it has on us, even though they have been involved in negotiation and things have [...]
Great news. We have Lucy Joyce, a very experienced young actor to play Young Emily in Gone Fishing. She has a huge amount of TV and move credits to her name and it’s very exciting to be working consistently with very professional actors throughout the cast, especially as there are so many young actors in [...]
Today was the first day that I really had that feeling of 100% immersion in the film making process. Where nothing else matters. It began at 8am, stage 3 at Ealing Studios, a huge sound stage that we managed to get for the sets for Gone Fishing. Set construction began with Mark Sutherland at the [...]
OK, it’s time we started to reveal who some of our talented cast and crew are going to be… First off, I am more than delighted to announce that seasoned DP, no British LEGEND, Vernon Layton, will be shooting ‘Gone Fishing’. This is awesome news as Vernon truly is an artist. Among many others Vernon [...]
I spent another whole day in casting – looking for the young actors to play the two young boys in ‘Gone Fishing’. I know we found one boy who was amazing, but until the parents and agents have agreed for him to play the part, I don’t want to say anything. Let’s all keep our [...]
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Dale Sumner: Thanks Chris - look forward to hearing from your t...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
- Notes for emerging composers… how to get noticed by producers May 13, 2013
- Trust is the only currency in an untrustworthy business… stunning presentation from Producer with more credits than most DVD collections! May 10, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- robertgwilsn: RT @livingspiritpix: Top tweeters from #docsummit @FreyaB_73 @jakebexx @ShayanScott @studio75London @vegetarianjelly #Gfilm »
- osmium10: I always said this would happen http://t.co/oeWZKo4e2X #filmmaking #gfilm #scriptchat #screenwriting #indiefilm »
- Megachrist: RT @grahaminman: #VampireMob creator @JoeWilsonTV on @indiegogo http://t.co/aYcCBMsYkE #crowdfunding #indiefilm #gfilm »
- Megachrist: RT @livingspiritpix: Top tweeters from #docsummit @FreyaB_73 @jakebexx @ShayanScott @studio75London @vegetarianjelly #Gfilm »
- View All