Screenwriters Slogans For The Wall… by Alexander MacKendrick © The Estate of Alexander Mackendrick www.alexandermackendrick.com At the London Screenwriters’ Festival, Paul Cronin delivered a terrific session on Alexander Mackendrick and the preverbal language of cinema. Paul also sent me some scans (above) of the aphorisms Mackendrick had stuck to his wall when he taught screenwriting [...]
We all know distribution is changing, but what is REALLY happening out there, opposed to the hyperbolae of the blogosphere and Twittersphere? My good friends Sheri Candler and Jon Reiss (interview I did here), teamed up with The Film Collaborative, to bring you a fully researched book on how film makers are distributing their films [...]
As a film maker I am in the business of communication. It is the cornerstone of my business. Communicating big ideas with the world. Communicating stories with financiers, backers, actors, producers and broadcasters. And communicating with my community, sharing my journey and sometimes asking for help. As I write this I am downloading 79 emails. [...]
Earlier this year we hosted a cracking event with Ted Hope and Christine Vachon, we called it American Independents Day in London, and we filmed the whole day. The videos are nearly ready and we are about to start building the website for it. And here’s the good news, the whole thing will be shared [...]
At the London Screenwriters’ Festival last year, we produced a very special Screenwriters Pocketbook, crammed full of insights, tips and tricks for movie scribes and small enough to slide into your pocket. The book was so well received that we decided to do the same all over again for the recent hugely successful London Comedy [...]
I just bought a kindle, not because I wanted one (though it is of course very nice), but because it’s time to migrate the Guerilla Film Makers Handbooks onto digital platforms. This has been in the planning for some time now and I have just needed time to breathe to actually take steps to make [...]
I am finalising the ‘Comedy Writers Pocketbook’ which will be given away to delegates at the Comedy Festival next month, as well as being sent to writers after the festival weekend. The book is nearly complete and we are locking down our sponsors and advertisers. And we have one full page advertisement left. Do you [...]
At the London Screenwriters Festival last year, we produced a very special Screenwriters Pocketbook, crammed with insights, tips and tricks for movie scribes. As it was our first year we printed more than we needed and we have around 100 left. So we thought that we would share them with you. So you can have [...]
Only two weeks to go to the London Screenwriters Festival! And two big steps have been taken this week. First we sent our Screenwriter’s Pocketbook off to the printers. This is a FREE book that will be given to all delegates of the festival, kind of in the mould of the The Guerilla Film Makers [...]
I must admit I still can’t get ‘Inception’ out of my head. I need that second viewing and I need it fast. I am also listening to Hans Zimmers thumping score which is destined to be a favourite for temp scoring action movies and for trailers. For those of you who haven’t ever seen it, [...]
As I have been rewriting Rocketboy, I have also been re-reading some of my favourite screenwriting books. I have been looking for tips, tricks, insights and wisdom on the screenwriting concept that writing is rewriting. But it’s also about being tough in those rewrites. Killing your darlings. There are a few very good books on [...]
Reviews for the new ‘Guerilla Film Makers Pocketbook’ are now coming in thick and fast, like this one below from the actors newspaper, ‘The Stage’. I have also just completed a microsite on www.guerillafilm.com for anyone who wants to buy a signed copy of the book direct from us – in the UK, USA and [...]
I am about to depart for Cannes, but thought I would share with you some feedback for the books that I have just received. We have sold out of the new pocketbooks already, and right now, you can only get them in bookshops (if they have stock) and Amazon and other online retailers (while they [...]
Come to our book launch and meet a whole host of film making experts and professionals, network with them, pick their brains… and help get your next amazing poject made…! (see list below of confirmed experts attending – more to follow). OK, the new shiny tiny Guerilla Film Makers Pocketbooks have arrived from LA, which [...]
Continuing Jon’s tips of the day as we run up to the Distribution on 2010 Workshop on May 8th / 9th. Over to Jon. Jon Reiss’ Tip of the Day 4 – Setting A Marketing Strategy Depending on the type of filmmaker that you are, marketing does not need to be thought of as catering [...]
- Craig: I have been advocating this approach for some time...
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Get Your Script Read AND Performed at the Actors Table Read. May 22, 2013
- London Doc Summit 2013 Success…. and one delegates first film… May 21, 2013
- Amanda Palmer and her TED talk on Crowdfunding, ‘The Art of Asking’ May 20, 2013
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- MovieFilmCrew: RT @grahaminman: Still time to support @SimonCoxFilm Kaleidoscope Man http://t.co/doRp1WITPJ #indiefilm #gfilm #filmmakers #film »
- robertshutter: RT @markrobbins01 RT @grahaminman: Still time to support @SimonCoxFilm Kaleidoscope Man http://t.co/OsbqBekqxn #indiefilm #gfilm #fil... »
- markrobbins01: RT @grahaminman: Still time to support @SimonCoxFilm Kaleidoscope Man http://t.co/doRp1WITPJ #indiefilm #gfilm #filmmakers #film »
- frazer_lee: RT @livingspiritpix: Get your script performed at the London Screenwriters’ Festival http://t.co/4luPst1X3S #LondonSWF #Gfilm »
- View All