This weekend has seen the release of ‘Zombie Undead’, a micro budget horror film made by a film maker, Rhys Davies, who I first met a few years ago on my Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass. His journey and film is a classic example of micro budget film making, a true ‘micro crew’ production. In advance [...]
Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass Alumni Rhys Davies: Micro Budget Horror Case Study, Released This Weekend!
I am spending the weekend building and updating my presentation for The Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass on June 4th and 5th. (90% sold out now, so don’t wait if you want to come, and use the discount code CHRISJONESBLOG to get it for £60, reduced from £119.00 – go here http://www.guerillamasterclass.com) And I wanted to [...]
Now that the dust is settling on our ‘Wedding’(film which we shot on 5D last week) I wanted to share some thoughts on certain members of our crew, namely the creative design departments. We live in a time that is obsessed by the ‘the camera’, the formats, the lenses, the kit… I know why and [...]
Micro Budget Film Making Law Number 8… Get A Single Shooting Location To Fulfill Multiple Story Locations
If you want to make the most out of your limited resources, look at the locations you have and tailor your screenplay to match what is available. I am in the thick of production on a very ambitious drama to be shot on DSLR next week, and the budget is really, really tight. Today I [...]
Hanging out with winners usually creates a positive effect. It’s a simple tip for success, but so often I see people hanging out with people who are ‘glass half empty’ kind of guys. Don’t do it, it won’t serve you. A good friend of mine, Mike Mindel, is a ‘glass half full’ kind of guy. [...]
A Masterclass In Microbudget Film Making – Interview with 'Paranormal Activity' writer and director Oren Peli
Believe it or not, I only just caught up with ‘Paranormal Activity’. I know, we even interviewed director Oren Peli in the last Guerilla Film Makers Pocketbook! Still, it’s been a frantically busy year. First off, I have to say just how impressed I was with the film. He managed to keep up pace, tension [...]
As the independent film world explodes DSLR filming, all manner of new kit has been emerging – camera support rigs, camera movement rigs, follow focus, ND filters, lenses… Two of the more innovative and entertaining evolutions are this helicopter rig (right and video above) and the SegWay rig (below). The Helicopter rig comes out of [...]
Continuing Jon’s tips of the day as we run up to the Distribution on 2010 Workshop on May 8th / 9th. Over to Jon. Jon Reiss’ Tip of the Day 5 – Budget for Distribution and Marketing In order to successfully execute a marketing plan for your film, a budget must be developed in tandem [...]
Over the past few days there has been much chatter about a film that was released in UK theatres this weekend. You can watch the trailer here. It’s called ‘Motherhood’, stars Academy Award nominee Uma Thurman, UK star Minnie Driver, and TV show ‘ER’ helmer Anthony Edwards. Here’s the plot outline from IMDB is… In [...]
This weekend was spring cleaning day in the Living Spirit office at Ealing Studios. Those of you who have visited my office will know that it’s more like a strange little ‘Harry Potter’ hobbits hole of a cupboard than that of a film production office. And that suits me just fine. I learned a long [...]
Let me start by saying, I don’t like polarised positions and I don’t like being drawn into debate where parties end up demonising each other. I seek to unite and not to divide. In that spirit, I have been asked to get involved in a very important debate on the National Minimum Wage in the [...]
During the Cannes Film Market, I recorded an audio podcast with Derrin Rammage from Maxim Media, an Arizona based sales company that specialises in ultra low budget horror films – and when I mean ultra low budget, I mean it, kind of around $20k! He always has a huge catalogue of titles that to my [...]
In an entire day of HELL – can I say that loud enough – HELL!!!!! – the accounts for Gone Fishing have been done. It started at 9am this morning with a pre breakfast meeting with my accountant, before a day of paper sifting, through receipt after receipt. The actual GF accounts are really what [...]
It’s getting to the time where I need to file my VAT quarter, which means I will need to go through all the receipts and invoices on the spike in my office. This is not a job I enjoy. In fact, most people just bundle it off to the accountants! But I am going to [...]
We hit our 100th contributor last night (thank you Wendy!), bringing the total raised so far to… £19,685! Blimey! I mean really, BLIMEY! We are still short though, so if you know anyone who may want to come on the course or come to the premiere, click here. I have been working on the £100 [...]
- Craig: I have been advocating this approach for some time...
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- How to Speed Up Your Cultural Test When Applying For The UK Film Tax Credit May 24, 2013
- The Film Investors Check List – Answers to tough questions your investors will ask May 23, 2013
- Get Your Script Read AND Performed at the Actors Table Read. May 22, 2013
- London Doc Summit 2013 Success…. and one delegates first film… May 21, 2013
- Amanda Palmer and her TED talk on Crowdfunding, ‘The Art of Asking’ May 20, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- FlotillaOnline: RT @grahaminman: Why People Succeed At #Crowdfunding by @Jon_Reiss: http://t.co/Ncn240NEEh via @filmcourage #indiefilm #gfilm »
- Jade_Films: RT @grahaminman: Still time to support @SimonCoxFilm Kaleidoscope Man http://t.co/doRp1WITPJ #indiefilm #gfilm #filmmakers #film »
- ShotListerApp: RT @grahaminman: Why People Succeed At #Crowdfunding by @Jon_Reiss: http://t.co/Ncn240NEEh via @filmcourage #indiefilm #gfilm »
- filmcourage: RT @grahaminman: Why People Succeed At #Crowdfunding by @Jon_Reiss: http://t.co/Ncn240NEEh via @filmcourage #indiefilm #gfilm »
- View All