If you have been thinking about the Black Magic Cinema Camera, as we have been doing, check out this video above to get a feel for how it’s been designed to be used in the field, for film makers (unlike DSLR which was made for stills photographers) and all those crazy features! What do you [...]
Headline grabbing for sure, but is it true? Well not dead perhaps, but DSLR has had its day. The nail in the coffin came from the new Black Magic Cinema Camera released this week (RRP $3k USD from July). It captures 2.5K (2432 x 1366) 12bit RAW footage with a claimed 13 stops of dynamic [...]
Check Your Memory Cards Before You Shoot Not all memory cards are as they seem. There has been a rash of counterfeit cards on the market (especially via eBay) which falsely claim higher transfer speeds and larger capacity. Think about it, when did you ever question the memory cards used on set? And when did [...]
I first saw ‘Ghost Girl’ a year or so ago when I was invited to the Isle Of Man to talk to film makers. I was present at the world premiere when it was screened off BluRay, and it was the first time I had seen 5D footage properly projected. And it looked awesome. This [...]
A few weeks back I asked the film community ‘what would be the ideal camera kit for £1,000’. I was overwhelmed by amazing tips, ideas and site suggestions. And so I have compiled it here as part of The Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass. While I did say that this was a camera kit for £1,000, [...]
Friday Feb 17th, and as part of the Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass, I will be running an evening pre-registration seminar with David Reynolds of Realm Media. Many of you will know Dave as he is the face and driving force behind a series of uber successful no-budget productions such as Zomblies, as well as his [...]
One of the Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass delegates has been in touch about the ideal kit to buy in 2012. In the wake of the Kodak news, I though I would run a short project…. So I thought I would create a short project to come up with the ideal kit for £1,000. I have [...]
Last week I posted about the camera tests run by Zacuto that I was asked to comment on, and how from my perspective, and certainly for indie film makers, shooting on film opposed to digital) looks like it has had its day. You can read that post here (and watch the fascinating video). The picture [...]
Is film dead? Earlier this year I was invited by Philip Bloom to come and watch a series of camera tests that compared a bunch of cameras that are available to film makers today. At the bottom end was the DSLR family, at the top end Alexa and film. The footage was screened from a [...]
Four Days In August, our 1 page screenplay competition is now closed and the winner will be announced on Friday. At that point, the script will be made available for YOU to make. You have fourteen days to complete it and upload to us. There are great prizes up for grabs, including cash, tickets to [...]
The short film I made earlier in the year, ‘Making it special, when it matters most’, a film to show the Nokia Siemens Network ‘Customer Experience Management’ software in action (made for NSN) is now public. It was shot on Canon 5DmkII and Canon 7D (second unit), edited on Avid and graded on FCP Color. [...]
Dave Reynolds, who you may recall from The Production Office, finally released his horror movies Zomblies on YouTube, and so I asked him to write me his top ten tips for shooting Zombie movies. You can watch the FULL MOVIE above too (remember to go full screen and switch to HD). Dave and his team [...]
During the Guerilla Film makers masterclass, I showed a film that I made recently for a corporate client, a drama set at a wedding. it was shot on both 5d and 7d and the cut I screened at the class was an incomplete ungraded cut. Yesterday I spent the day in Soho with colourist Peta [...]
As the independent film world explodes DSLR filming, all manner of new kit has been emerging – camera support rigs, camera movement rigs, follow focus, ND filters, lenses… Two of the more innovative and entertaining evolutions are this helicopter rig (right and video above) and the SegWay rig (below). The Helicopter rig comes out of [...]
This weekend I am on the Isle Of Man as part of their festival, which kicked off last night with an evening about short film making, indigenous film making and the sustainable future of creative film makers in the region. It was a terrific evening that was run by Dave Armstrong and his vivacious and [...]
- Craig: I have been advocating this approach for some time...
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Get Your Script Read AND Performed at the Actors Table Read. May 22, 2013
- London Doc Summit 2013 Success…. and one delegates first film… May 21, 2013
- Amanda Palmer and her TED talk on Crowdfunding, ‘The Art of Asking’ May 20, 2013
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- osmium10: The Urge plays Phoenix Comicon Friday 8.30pm & San Jose Genre Film Fest Saturday 1.55pm http://t.co/tK7zjxkzPt #indiefilm #filmmaking #gfilm »
- Flynnwriter: An amazing one day masterclass by the makers of Kaleidoscope Man (Phase 2 Funding) http://t.co/zGsGEy8WsU via @kickstarter #gfilm #indiefilm »
- janetvaneeden: RT @livingspiritpix: Making 'The Kings Speech' one hour masterclass and script, from #Gfilm masterclass http://t.co/HQpAWdwVAk »
- StevenBrunton: RT @livingspiritpix: Get your script performed at the London Screenwriters’ Festival http://t.co/4luPst1X3S #LondonSWF #Gfilm »
- View All