This weekend we held the London Doc Summit and the feedback has been awesome. You can read below. One delegate contacted me about his very first attempt at doc filmmaking, and I said I would share this on the blog. Here’s what he said… ‘Just a quick email to say thank you for this weekend. [...]
This weekend we held the London Doc Summit, which aside from some technical hitches, was a resounding success. One video I wanted to share with you is this excellent TED talk on Crowdfunding, that was brought to my attention by Janey Stephenson (@vegetarianjelly), one of our wonderful delegates. It’s really worth a watch. I will [...]
The Doc Summit is back this weekend and there are a handful of passes left. The Documentary Summit is a two day professional filmmaker conference with seminars from expert speakers and networking, it offers a unique opportunity to connect, share and collaborate. Join the movement now. Above is a session from the last Doc Summit [...]
I thought I would share this terrific talk with Geoffrey Smith, director of the powerful documentary, The English Surgeon, in which he delivers powerful and inspirational insight into Documentary Film Making. It was recorded at last years Documentary Summit and is representative of the amazing speakers you can can hear over the weekend of September [...]
So we have a shiny new website for The Guerilla Film Makers Handbook series – www.GuerillaFilm.com And not to soon too as Gen and Zee in LA have just completed and published the second edition of their Documentary Handbook, bang up to date a crammed with new case studies and expert interviews. The official page [...]
Airwolf: Why not make a documentary about a TV series you LOVED as a kid? That’s what Martin Grant has done…
We often think of documentary filmmakers as being activists, talking issues such as injustice, crime and global warming. Martin Grant went a full 180 on that, want back to his childhood, and has made an EPIC love letter back to ‘Airwolf’ Here’s his story… Preparation is key. Famous three words. And for most of the [...]
It’s coming back to London after touring the USA for the last year! If you are considering Documentary Film Making, you should come along. Here’s what’s on the website… Join hundreds of doc filmmakers for a two-day event that details cutting edge and contemporary documentary film making techniques, strategies and success stories, from conception through [...]
‘Without doubt, one of the most uplifting, productive and inspiring weekends I have ever had! Hanna Wise, Filmmaker and Underwater camera OP www.ChinaCakeProductions.com This weekend gone I hosted the first London Documentary Summit, held at Regents College. We were blessed with truly amazing, motivating and expert speakers who shared on a ridiculously wide range of [...]
In the run up to the Documentary Summit 2011, we have been showing a ‘Doc Of The Day’ every day on the official site (http://www.documentarysummit.com). The doc today is a fantastic short about the creator of the digital camera, Steven Sasson – at three minutes long, it’s a must watch for anyone who works with [...]
The Documentary Summit 2011… Join hundreds of delegates for a two-day event that details cutting edge and contemporary documentary film making techniques, strategies and success stories, from conception through to completion. DATE: DECEMBER 3rd and 4th (Saturday/Sunday, 9.00am to 6.30pm) VENUE: Regents College, Regents Park, London PRICE: £119.00 (discounted to £65 with code CHRISJONES) The [...]
Following yesterdays post on the wedding I shot on the spur of the moment using my iPhone, I got a lot of emails from people wanting to know more about shooting this way. The primary reason for shooting with a phone is that you don’t need to plan too much, you don’t need kit and [...]
There were many influences on me as a very young film maker, but one documentary in particular became the inspiration and genesis for the first feature film I made with Genevieve Jolliffe, ‘The Runner’. The documentary series was called ‘The Incredibly Strange Film Show’ and was hosted by a very young Jonathan Ross. There were [...]
Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff : A Film Maker’s Script to Screen presentation with Director Craig McCall
‘It’s not often in these days of cinematic sprawl and girth that you wish a film could be longer. If only Craig McCall’s Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff could be a 10 or 20 part series.’ DAILY TELEGRAPH Watch the film, keep the DVD, meet the film maker… AND get to see [...]
I recorded this podcast ahead of our two day documentary workshop at Ealing Studios on September 4th and 5th, to give you a flavour of some of the insights our delegates will be receiving at the workshop. You can get more information about it and read feedback from past delegates at howtomakeadocumenray.co.uk What’s extraordinary about [...]
One of the guests on our live show The Production Office (watch here) was Simon Cox, an old film maker buddy of mine with a bunch of movies under his belt. Like many of us, he has struggled for years to stay afloat while developing new scripts – that was until he came up with [...]
- Craig: I have been advocating this approach for some time...
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Did you know you can get 20% of your spend back for short films using the UK film tax credit? May 25, 2013
- How to Speed Up Your Cultural Test When Applying For The UK Film Tax Credit May 24, 2013
- The Film Investors Check List – Answers to tough questions your investors will ask May 23, 2013
- Get Your Script Read AND Performed at the Actors Table Read. May 22, 2013
- London Doc Summit 2013 Success…. and one delegates first film… May 21, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- SimonCoxFilm: RT @grahaminman: Last 2 hours of the Kaleidoscope Man (Phase 2 Funding) by @SimonCoxFilm http://t.co/doRp1WITPJ #GFilm #FilmMaking »
- grahaminman: Did you know you can get 20% of your spend back for short films using the UK film tax credit? http://t.co/dA7N6ZtOB6 #gfilm »
- grahaminman: Last 2 hours of the Kaleidoscope Man (Phase 2 Funding) by @SimonCoxFilm http://t.co/doRp1WITPJ #GFilm #FilmMaking »
- mcguinness33: RT @grahaminman: Only 9 hours left to be involved, Kaleidoscope Man British #scifi feature #film http://t.co/BYBHwl95nq #GFilm #IndieFilm @SimonCoxFilm »
- View All