I asked DSLR magician Ken Simpson to share how he manages to pull off amazing movies with very little kit, crew but tons of guts. Here’s his detailed response… pretty amazing advice… I’ve had more than a few people ask me how I was able to achieve such a high level of production value with [...]
Top Ten Microbudget Tips: With a crew of 2 and budget of £500… what can be achieved? Jaw dropping work…
If you have been thinking about the Black Magic Cinema Camera, as we have been doing, check out this video above to get a feel for how it’s been designed to be used in the field, for film makers (unlike DSLR which was made for stills photographers) and all those crazy features! What do you [...]
Headline grabbing for sure, but is it true? Well not dead perhaps, but DSLR has had its day. The nail in the coffin came from the new Black Magic Cinema Camera released this week (RRP $3k USD from July). It captures 2.5K (2432 x 1366) 12bit RAW footage with a claimed 13 stops of dynamic [...]
Check Your Memory Cards Before You Shoot Not all memory cards are as they seem. There has been a rash of counterfeit cards on the market (especially via eBay) which falsely claim higher transfer speeds and larger capacity. Think about it, when did you ever question the memory cards used on set? And when did [...]
The Documentary Summit 2011… Join hundreds of delegates for a two-day event that details cutting edge and contemporary documentary film making techniques, strategies and success stories, from conception through to completion. DATE: DECEMBER 3rd and 4th (Saturday/Sunday, 9.00am to 6.30pm) VENUE: Regents College, Regents Park, London PRICE: £119.00 (discounted to £65 with code CHRISJONES) The [...]
Enter our one page screenwriting and film making competitions to win great prizes and seen by top talent
Now that our Screenwriting a Film Making Competitions are live, I thought I would write about why these competitions are going to be so fascinating, and why you should enter, be you a filmmaker or a screenwriter. So what are the competions? 1. A one page screenwriting competition, free and open to anyone, that closes [...]
I have been a little light on the blog front because I have been on set shooting a drama on Canon 5D MKII. It’s been terrific to actually be on the set of a major drama, shooting DSLR, just ahead of the Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass as it has really focussed my mind on what [...]
Please watch the clip in HD and full screen. The past couple of weeks have really rocked the world. First a shocking earthquake, tsunami and reactor leak in Japan, and the start of a campaign in the middle east. It reminds me of the fragility of life, of how we all live within the [...]
Following on from last weeks post about camera mounts for 5D MkII, I was sent a link for another kind of mount – a helikite. It’s a mix between a helium filled blimp and a kite, and allows the camera to make very smooth aerial shots. The clip above is probably shot using a helikite, [...]
As the independent film world explodes DSLR filming, all manner of new kit has been emerging – camera support rigs, camera movement rigs, follow focus, ND filters, lenses… Two of the more innovative and entertaining evolutions are this helicopter rig (right and video above) and the SegWay rig (below). The Helicopter rig comes out of [...]
Revolution is a word used too often. I have heard of revolution in film making again and again over the years. But now I believe we truly are inside of a real revolution. The ability to deliver high quality video over the web. The ability to market your film and connect directly with an audience. [...]
- Craig: I have been advocating this approach for some time...
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Amanda Palmer and her TED talk on Crowdfunding, ‘The Art of Asking’ May 20, 2013
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
- Notes for emerging composers… how to get noticed by producers May 13, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- antonsays: RT @TomKerevan: http://t.co/8TjIN82k6N Thank you for interviewing me! Courtesy of @paper_castle #londonswf #gfilm #shamelessselfpromotion :-) »
- FreyaB_73: RT @livingspiritpix: Amanda Palmer and he TED talk on Crowdfunding, ‘The Art of Asking’ from #docsummit delegate @vegetarianjelly #Gfilm »
- simonreglar: RT @livingspiritpix: Have you seen our feature promo for #50kisses yet? http://t.co/uLa40bMzt8 #Gfilm »
- ikonicfilms: Couple of shots from different versions of Advice in here: MT @livingspiritpix: feature promo for #50kisses http://t.co/YECw6LCwKW #Gfilm »
- View All