The day has finally come for me to say goodbye to DVD. In the mid nineties, I recall car booting all my entire and beloved vinyl collection as I shifted up to CD. Then five years ago I digitised all my CDs to MP3 and stored the old disks in wallets in the loft. Now [...]
Guest blogger David Wilkinson of UK Distribution outfit Guerilla Films, tells us about the longer term impacts of the riots and the fire at the Sony distribution warehouse. What was I to do with 1,400 DVD’s of RABBIT ON THE MOON a British/ Mexican co-production that were only selling 4-5 copies per year? I asked [...]
As the streets of Ealing return to normal, the longer term impact of the riots begin to show themselves. On TV, many of you will have seen a huge Sony warehouse burning to the ground. What you might not know is that was a distribution warehouse for DVD, BluRay and games. 25 million disks went [...]
Last month we sold our 1,000th copy of Gone Fishing on DVD (trailer here). So I asked Nick, the buyer to share his thoughts on the film, and his own film making journey. I first became aware of Chris Jones when I purchased the 2nd edition of “The Guerilla Film Makers Handbook. I was 23 [...]
XMAS SPECIAL, BUY 1 GONE FISHING DVD, GET 1 FREE! That’s right, two for one – and we promise that the DVD’s will be sent with love from Santa and his little helpers. Really. Honestly. Truly. Not many people know this, but aside from being the writer and director of Gone Fishing, I was also [...]
It’s getting to that time of year isn’t it – the terror of Xmas shopping for friends and relatives when you have no clue what they could want! For me it’s even worse in reverse, when my close family and friends keep asking ‘what do you want for Xmas…?’ and I just don’t know – [...]
I wanted to share an email I got from a film maker friend, Dave Fussell, who bought several copies of ‘Gone Fishing’ on DVD as presents. We have had extraordinary feedback from people who received ‘Gone Fishing’ as a gift, especially those of the older generation, who are not interested too much in the internet [...]
I have just arrived at the Sedona Film Festival in Arizona, and will be letting you know how it akk goes… On the flight over, I have been working on a feature for MovieScope magazine about piracy. It’s not going to be the usual ‘outrage at copyright theft’ and ‘how to stop pirates’ article, but [...]
I have been getting feedback from people who have bought the DVD, on the movie and the whole package, and I thought I would share some of them with you… Remember, if you want your own copy in PAL or NTSC, you can still buy it here… And if you are new to the blog, [...]
I am attempting to get the Gone Fishing DVD out there for Christmas and have set the INCREDIBLE target of selling 1,000 DVDs! This will fund the final Oscar push in January. I just emailed out to my user group, but if you read this, please consider sending it out to everyone you know too. [...]
Over the last couple of days I have been recording the commentary tracks for the Gone Fishing DVD (which you can now buy with the link to the left here). When I started to plan this, the first thing that I realised is that because Gone Fishing is only 13 minutes long, it would be [...]
I have been working on festival plans today, and specifically on the world premiere. Cannes is looming and it would be great to get into competition there and give them the world premiere. I have been reliably informed that if we have already done French subtitles, that will work in our favour – and so [...]
I had just about mastered the final DVD’s for Gone Fishing, in both PAL and NTSC, with both Dolby Digital and DTS sound, with perfect picture (even the NTSC thanks to a great system trascoder called Canopus Procoder 3)… And then I got the dreaded email. We had missed a person off the credits. And [...]
Yesterday I completed the PAL DVD for ‘Gone Fishing’. This DVD is for showing to festival co-ordinators and people who may be interested in the new features I am writing. For now, it won’t be available to anyone else, not even my family! (as I explained on the blog before, we need to keep tight [...]
One day to go… And the film is still not complete! And BAFTA keep changing their minds about what we can and cannot do in terms of screening… And I am about to have a heart attack! The seminar is all coming together nicely though, and it looks like it will be an amazing day. [...]
Dates For Your Diary
Write, Shoot and Distribute
With Marcus Markou - ‘Papadopoulos & Sons’ has taken the industry by storm - self funded, self produced, self distributed. MORE HERE
How To Complete A Risk Assessment For Your Film
It's not sexy but it's essential you have this key skill top protect your cast, crew and yourself. MORE HERE
London Screenwriters' 2013
Three day annual international screenwriting event with 500 delegates, 130 spekares and 130 sessions www.LondonSWF.com
How to make your first £million movie with ten times producer Richard Holmes. www.advancedproducing.com
- Frank: Wow, when I was ten I was still figuring out how t...
- Richard Dinnick: This is a fab piece and reflects my own experience...
- Fulvio M. Camargo: Great video! But I didn't understand just one thi...
- Chris: Thanks Andrew, yes I feel passionately that Actors...
- Andrew Elias: This is a great blog post! I've produced a short ...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass 2013 Feedback June 18, 2013
- Well that happened…! Blood, guts and glory at Guerilla Film Masterclass June 17, 2013
- Meet our youngest delegate at the Guerilla Filmmakers Masterclass… and watch her Virgin Media Shorts entry… very cool June 13, 2013
- One filmmakers success story – crowdfunding, crewing and Cannes at the Guerilla Filmmakers Masterclass June 12, 2013
- One filmmakers journey… how we met at the Guerilla Masterclass and went on an extraordinary journey… June 11, 2013