Last week I delivered a presentation on the Avid stand at BVE about developing a career as an editor, specifically an editor moving into drama. It’s a five stage plan, the first two stages taking around one or two years each, stage three, four and five could easily be a lifetime. If you want to [...]
Today I went to the BVE show at the ExCeL center in East London, a three day trade show for film and television people with a very heavy emphasis on tech and software. Avid asked me to present on their stand, which was quite an honour. And with the help of ace editor Eddie Hamilton, [...]
This editing masterclass from NAB 2012 with my good friend Eddie Hamilton, just went live. If you are working in features either as an editor, writer, director or producer, you will find this presentation an excellent 30 minute investment. Put the kettle on, switch off the phone and press play… If you enjoy it, you [...]
The power of editing never ceases to amaze me – actors, writers, DPs, designers, all offer incredible contributions to a story, but it’s the editor who takes that heady cocktail of ideas, creativity, drama, misfires, failures, surprises, technical problems etc etc that happened on set / location, and makes it all work as best it [...]
With 50 Kisses and editing the videos for the LSF going on simultaneously, we have several USB drives being moved around several Avid computers to handle the massive data throughput. Yesterday I got a drive problem I have had before – for some reason, Avid or Windows, or a combination of the two, lock access [...]
As part of 50 Kissses, we have invited filmmakers to act on our feedback and that of the community. Already, one filmmaking team, Sweet Home Films in LA, has made their film over 20% shorter, fixed some audio problems and overall radically improved their work. Above is the first cut which, like so many filmmakers [...]
Last week I attended a test screening of a feature film at BAFTA and I thought I would share my thoughts on common editorial mistakes when close to locking picture. Common mistake number one… It doesn’t make sense (the elephant in the room that the film makers cannot see). Everyone who read the script, then [...]
Last week, film editing heavyweight Avid released their iPad app, Avid Studio, taking on Apple’s own iMovie app head on. I used iMovie last year for a family wedding video where I shot on my iPhone, edited on iPad and premiered for the family during the wedding dinner, blog post here. It was a real [...]
One question that always comes up at the Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass is which editing tool should I use? There is no straight answer to this, and we get into the detail in the masterclass, but this video above gives a great and indepth view into both Avid and FCPX systems. What should you consider [...]
If I had a second career, I suspect I would have been an editor. I learned very early on that editing is perhaps the most powerful tool in the film making process – that is of course after the freedom of imagination in the script process, the tyranny of budget and fallibility of human beings [...]
Following yesterdays post on the wedding I shot on the spur of the moment using my iPhone, I got a lot of emails from people wanting to know more about shooting this way. The primary reason for shooting with a phone is that you don’t need to plan too much, you don’t need kit and [...]
This weekend I went to an Italian wedding with my other half Lucia. Not understanding a single word of the ceremony or speeches, I thought I would shoot an impromptu wedding video for the happy couple, Oreste and Sandrine. Realising I also had my iPad with me, I wondered, could I shoot, edit and present [...]
So we are getting closer to our glitzy London based ‘Guerilla Film Makers Pocket Book’ book launch, and I thought I should bring you up to speed on some things that are going on and appearing on the web. First of, at the bottom of the page are links to buy the books direct from [...]
Editing ‘Kick-Ass’, interview with Editor Eddie Hamilton – includes full post production workflow chart
Yesterday I met with my old pal and editor, Eddie Hamilton. Eddie cut ‘Gone Fishing’ (trailer here) for us and most recently (you can buy it here), he has spent 18 months working on Kick-Ass as one of the editors, alongside Jon Harris and double Oscar winner Pietro Scalia, who Eddie speaks about in this [...]
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Dale Sumner: Thanks Chris - look forward to hearing from your t...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
- Notes for emerging composers… how to get noticed by producers May 13, 2013
- Trust is the only currency in an untrustworthy business… stunning presentation from Producer with more credits than most DVD collections! May 10, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- andrewelias: RT @grahaminman: June 1st #London - How To Fund Your #Film in 2013 http://t.co/c642ddnoWz #GFilm #IndieFilm »
- grahaminman: June 1st #London - How To Fund Your #Film in 2013 http://t.co/c642ddnoWz #GFilm #IndieFilm »
- rockyohio: RT @grahaminman: How To Fund Your #Film in 2013 - June 1st #London http://t.co/c642ddnoWz #GFilm #Docsummit #IndieFilm »
- robertshutter: RT @VHSMassacre Cool stuff! RT @grahaminman: How To Fund Your #Film in 2013 - June 1st #London http://t.co/RksiSUs5xX #GFilm #Docsumm... »
- View All