A few weeks back I went to the BBC to record a lively debate on the state of British indie filmmaking, with Dominic Brunt and Marc Price. You can listen to the podcast above. Dominic Brunt is a TV actor turned director, whose recent release Before Dawn is receiving critical acclaim and Marc Price hit [...]
Free or near free online digital tools allow us to create amazing web presences now. Our companies, our projects and even ourselves are well served by these online tools that can help convey what we are trying to achieve for almost nothing. But at some point, we all have to enter the physical world, meet [...]
‘Spaced’, ‘Hot Fuzz’, ‘Shaun Of The Dead’ and ‘Scott Pilgrim’… Edgar Wright at the London Screenwriters’ Festival
‘Spaced’, ‘Hot Fuzz’, ‘Shaun Of The Dead’ and ‘Scott Pilgrim’… Edgar Wright at the London Screenwriters’ Festival! Podcast below, video above. Download the MP3 file here for your iPod At the eleventh hour, Edgar agreed to join us at the festival and delivered an inspiring session to a crammed cinema of screenwriters and film makers. [...]
Watch Sam Jackson’s Secret Diary… extraordinary story behind a micro budget British feature by Guy Rowland
Writer, composer and good friend of mine, Guy Rowland, made a unique feature film a few years ago and has just released it online 100% free. The story behind the film is both extraordinary AND a stark reminder to ‘get on with it…’ I asked him to share some of his experiences. His ‘Making Of…’ [...]
As a film maker I am in the business of communication. It is the cornerstone of my business. Communicating big ideas with the world. Communicating stories with financiers, backers, actors, producers and broadcasters. And communicating with my community, sharing my journey and sometimes asking for help. As I write this I am downloading 79 emails. [...]
Dave Reynolds, who you may recall from The Production Office, finally released his horror movies Zomblies on YouTube, and so I asked him to write me his top ten tips for shooting Zombie movies. You can watch the FULL MOVIE above too (remember to go full screen and switch to HD). Dave and his team [...]
Being in a room with 370 energised, passionate and determined film makers for a whole weekend is something that inevitably creates an electric atmosphere of possibilities. And while many of the film makers present have been thanking me for their own experience and breakthroughs at the Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass, I have been reflecting on [...]
Following last weeks post where I offered blog readers the contracts you could use on your film, I thought I would add a list of tips for contracts. I called it the ‘Top Ten’, but of course, like any contract negotiation, that expanded…! So it’s a top fourteen! You can read about the free film [...]
Following last weeks successful podcast with IndieGoGo’s Danae Ringelmann (listen here), I promised I would follow up with a series on crowd funding. This is the second in that series, the final one coming next week in the form of a specific ‘how to’ article, but for now, here is a podcast I recorded today [...]
So much has been blogged, ranted and hyperbole-ed over the past week or so after Amazon announced its big new idea, Amazon Studios. Many eloquent people, not least John August, have added to the debate, so I will try to avoid what has been said before. And I will keep it short too as we [...]
This week has been a white knuckle ride for me. I am writing this with a pounding head from the workload, the stress and the queasy feeling of being pulled backwards, forwards, up and down… There were so many times when I paused and turned to Judy Goldberg and would say… ‘this is it, this [...]
The dust is settling on our frantic Corporate Film and I feel a little like I have been at war for three weeks – but earned some money for the extended script development process that sits ahead of us. So much has happened with our, as yet, unannounced feature film project too – contracts have [...]
Sara has been busy submitting to festivals and we have had a huge response from certain groups. Broadly speaking, we have been unsuccessful in the UK and Europe, and very successful in the USA, especially California. We in fact have a nexus of festivals culminating in three, yes THREE award ceremonies in Arizona and LA [...]
With dread in my heart, I approach now, the writing of the next project… And I take the first step… While I can write, I find it very hard. Much harder than I think many other writers do. I find it extremely draining, emotionally and physically. And there is a maximum of about three to [...]
Last night, editor Ediie Hamilton came round to my flat to watch the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven that I had rented on BluRay from Amazon (it's an improvement over the original cut for sure as it makes sense and does not feel rushed). It stopped playing three times as we watched, due to [...]
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Dale Sumner: Thanks Chris - look forward to hearing from your t...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
- Notes for emerging composers… how to get noticed by producers May 13, 2013
- Trust is the only currency in an untrustworthy business… stunning presentation from Producer with more credits than most DVD collections! May 10, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- ekingfarlow: Day 2 of the brilliant #GFilm #DocSummit - & if yesterday was anything to go by, it's going to be a good one! :-D »
- robertgwilsn: RT @livingspiritpix: Top tweeters from #docsummit @FreyaB_73 @jakebexx @ShayanScott @studio75London @vegetarianjelly #Gfilm »
- osmium10: I always said this would happen http://t.co/oeWZKo4e2X #filmmaking #gfilm #scriptchat #screenwriting #indiefilm »
- Megachrist: RT @grahaminman: #VampireMob creator @JoeWilsonTV on @indiegogo http://t.co/aYcCBMsYkE #crowdfunding #indiefilm #gfilm »
- View All