I asked DSLR magician Ken Simpson to share how he manages to pull off amazing movies with very little kit, crew but tons of guts. Here’s his detailed response… pretty amazing advice… I’ve had more than a few people ask me how I was able to achieve such a high level of production value with [...]
Top Ten Microbudget Tips: With a crew of 2 and budget of £500… what can be achieved? Jaw dropping work…
Watch Sam Jackson’s Secret Diary… extraordinary story behind a micro budget British feature by Guy Rowland
Writer, composer and good friend of mine, Guy Rowland, made a unique feature film a few years ago and has just released it online 100% free. The story behind the film is both extraordinary AND a stark reminder to ‘get on with it…’ I asked him to share some of his experiences. His ‘Making Of…’ [...]
Guest blog from Kristi Barnett (right). I asked Kristi to share her experiences making her innovative, no budget Transmedia project…HURST Every writer and film maker has their own reason as to why they've chosen to get into this creative and sometimes soul destroying medium. For me, it was a constant influx of ideas and stories [...]
After years working in the real world finding my life rushing past me faster and faster, it’s finally slowed down again… guest blog
Following the Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass I asked some film makers to write guest blog entries. Here’s what Andy Phelps offered… 'My partner-in-crime, Jake Hawkins, and I have been working on our first feature full-time since January this year; victims of the recession and the need to go and do something more creatively fulfilling than [...]
‘It’s not what you know, it’s WHO you know’ goes the cliché. I know this is true and I kind of hate that fact. Surely talent trumps everything? I wish. Consequently, a large part of the The Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass was about networking. About confronting fear, embarrassment and generally being British when it comes [...]
Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass Alumni Rhys Davies: Micro Budget Horror Case Study, Released This Weekend!
This weekend has seen the release of ‘Zombie Undead’, a micro budget horror film made by a film maker, Rhys Davies, who I first met a few years ago on my Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass. His journey and film is a classic example of micro budget film making, a true ‘micro crew’ production. In advance [...]
UPDATE – With 1 hour to go, John reached his goal! Thanks to everyone who contributed. Actor and Producer John Schwab has always been a great supporter of everything I have done. And he was one of the very first contributors to Gone Fishing. And so when I got this email from him today about [...]
At the London Screenwriters’ Festival last year, we produced a very special Screenwriters Pocketbook, crammed full of insights, tips and tricks for movie scribes and small enough to slide into your pocket. The book was so well received that we decided to do the same all over again for the recent hugely successful London Comedy [...]
Please watch the clip in HD and full screen. The past couple of weeks have really rocked the world. First a shocking earthquake, tsunami and reactor leak in Japan, and the start of a campaign in the middle east. It reminds me of the fragility of life, of how we all live within the [...]
Why Does Anyone NEED To Watch Your Film? DynamoPlayer After One Week… Thoughts, opinions and feedback…
So Gone Fishing has been available for one week on DynamoPlayer (click on stats image to the right for a bigger view). I thought I would share some of the comments that I have received via blog, email and other sites. On my blog and after the first post on Dynamoplayer last Monday, Mike Barnes [...]
Over the last few days my blog has gone into overdrive with traffic about my post on DynamoPlayer, the new tool that allows film makers to stream and charge for their work. But how does it perform over time? I asked film maker Audrey Ewell to share her experiences. She has been selling her film [...]
And another email from Hollywood! This time from Gen… and a guest blog about making it to tinsel town.
Gen asked me to post this on the blog, about her LA workshop… I knew for a long time that I wanted to make movies in Hollywood. That was my dream since, like many, I was blown away by Star Wars all those years ago. It was an incredibly powerful movie that has now become [...]
Note – this is the introduction video to the workshop (clip from the actual course below) // REDUCED FROM £69.99 to £37.99 – SIGN UP HERE! The ‘Gone Fishing’ online Workshop is still on sale, reduced from £69.99 to just £37.99. Loads of film makers signed up after Christmas, to grab this bargain and to [...]
Last year I was Associate Producer on Stuart Hazeldines ‘EXAM’, a taught thriller set in one room. And yesterdays Oscars announcement was extraordinary news for one of our team… Stuart put it best on the Exam Facebook page… 'As EXAM blazes a trail across the worlds cinema screens it's important to remember that not all [...]
Friend and film maker Darren Horne emailed me and asked if I could highlight his plight. He says it better than I can, so here is Darren. Sad and crazy news at the 2 screen independent cinema I manage. We share the building with a Bingo, that is owned by the people that own the whole building (Graves Ltd). [...]
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Dale Sumner: Thanks Chris - look forward to hearing from your t...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
- Notes for emerging composers… how to get noticed by producers May 13, 2013
- Trust is the only currency in an untrustworthy business… stunning presentation from Producer with more credits than most DVD collections! May 10, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- vegetarianjelly: Only one reason I'm up this time on a Saturday: #Gfilm summit. Will be more excited after I've located some caffeine. »
- ekingfarlow: Urgh! Up at Absurd O'clock to get ready for the #GFilm #DocSummit! It's bound to be worth it though- if I can only stay awake, that is! :-D »
- grahaminman: 34 hours left to help make it happen for PlayShorts by @JoeWilsonTV on @indiegogo http://t.co/aYcCBMsYkE #film #indiefilm #gfilm #vmob »
- grahaminman: RT @momentsoffilm: Join me tomorrow for live tweets from the London #docsummit on the #GFilm & #docsummit hashtag! »
- View All