The new Guerilla Filmmakers ‘Breaking Into Hollywood Pocketbook’ is now selling well via our site here (http://www.guerillafilm.com/the-hollywood-pocketbook/), and also on Kindle here. I have had several requests for information about sending a spec script to LA, and so I asked Gen her opinion on what trips up a Brit sending their spec script to Hollywood. [...]
‘Read this book, you’ll be five steps ahead of the game before you get off the plane’ Matt O’Toole, Co-Producer ‘The Expendables 1 and 2′ Over the last few months, Gen in LA has been putting the finishing touches to our new pocketbook, Breaking Into Hollywood: A Guerilla Pocketbook. We just sent it off to [...]
There is no reason why you should not write and work in Hollywood. It’s a question I ask on many of my seminars, ‘do you want to work for Hollywood?’ And if the answer is yes, get on a plane. Genevieve my LA partner did this over a decade ago and has got representation and [...]
Last December we hosted a special London Screenwriters’ Festival workshop on breaking into Hollywood, getting an agent and working with the studios. Andrew who ran the seminar lives in LA and his insights were extraordinary. Feedback for his workshop was consistently five star. Now you can get it free too by going here… http://www.hollywoodfieldtrip.com/free-seminar/ What [...]
Earlier this year I wrote on the blog about a seminal documentary that aired in the 80’s, about how ILM created visual effects. It was made by the BBC as part of the Horizon series. And when I discovered the doc in my old archives and posted it, I found that many other film makers [...]
Earlier this year we hosted a cracking event with Ted Hope and Christine Vachon, we called it American Independents Day in London, and we filmed the whole day. The videos are nearly ready and we are about to start building the website for it. And here’s the good news, the whole thing will be shared [...]
Watch the short film and read the feature script now… (plus get access to extra drafts and production paperwork like schedule and breakdowns) Then on Saturday June 18th, at the Apollo Cinema, watch the movie (on the weekend of its 200 screen release), followed by a 2 hour seminar with Writer/Director Jonathan Newman. Finally, we [...]
How can you go from being a struggling film maker and writer all the way to the Oscars and BAFTA's? Meet Gareth, he just did it!
FREE EVENT FOR London Screenwriters Festival 2011 delegates and The Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass delegates. Only a few years ago, Gareth Unwin was a struggling film maker, working on low budget films and shorts as a first assistant director. And on Feb 27th, he picked up the Oscar for Best Film, as producer of ‘The [...]
And another email from Hollywood! This time from Gen… and a guest blog about making it to tinsel town.
Gen asked me to post this on the blog, about her LA workshop… I knew for a long time that I wanted to make movies in Hollywood. That was my dream since, like many, I was blown away by Star Wars all those years ago. It was an incredibly powerful movie that has now become [...]
On next weeks Production Office LIVE we will have film critic Nigel Floyd, giving us the lowdown on how to get the most out of critics. He recently chaired this fantastic discussion about ‘The Kings Speech’, which as you will know, has grabbed a pile of Oscar nominations – great news for Gareth Unwin, our [...]
This fantastic 90 minute session on Writing For Hollywood, with writer of Death At A Funeral Dean Craig, writer / director of Solomon Kane Michael Bassett and writer director Jonny Newman explores techniques and tricks YOU can use to be successful in LA while living in the UK. This session was recorded at the London [...]
From guest blogger Leilani Holmes at the London Screenwriters Festival 2010 It's unlikely to be a frequent occurance that I get to say I spent Friday evening hooking up with John August! However, by the power of t'internets that is exactly what happened as a live linkup to a sunny LA morning brought the [...]
Only as Gen and Zee head to the airport after their workshop whistlestop tour have I had chance to sit down and write a blog entry about their final seminar on writing spec scripts for Hollywood. Last night, Gen and Zee spoke to a capacity audience at Ealing Studios of writers and film makers who [...]
This weekends two day documentary workshop with Andrew Zinnes has just completed. It’s been an exhausting two days for everyone, but especially Andrew who last Thursday did a short workshop with me at the BFI. Then he did this rigorous two day workshop, and now we are prepping for the big one, the Hollywood Spec [...]
In Hollywood, movies are like hamburgers… That’s how co-author of The Guerilla Film Makers Pocketbook Andrew Zinnes put it last night to an enthusiastic group of film makers at the BFI. The BFI had organised this workshop in conjunction with their bookshop as a ‘book signing’ event, but it quickly developed into a Hollywood workshop [...]
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Dale Sumner: Thanks Chris - look forward to hearing from your t...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
- Notes for emerging composers… how to get noticed by producers May 13, 2013
- Trust is the only currency in an untrustworthy business… stunning presentation from Producer with more credits than most DVD collections! May 10, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- Legend44: RT @grahaminman: June 1st #London The 27 steps to funding your film http://t.co/c642ddnoWz #GFilm #IndieFilm #UK #EIS #taxfilmcredit »
- grahaminman: June 1st #London The 27 steps to funding your film http://t.co/c642ddnoWz #GFilm #IndieFilm #UK #EIS #taxfilmcredit »
- ScriptPunk: RT @grahaminman: June 1st #London - How To Fund Your #Film in 2013 http://t.co/c642ddnoWz #GFilm #IndieFilm »
- alli_and_that: Throwing a few more cents into the ring - think hard about your perks when you crowdfund: http://t.co/4GSV3wPV2I #scriptchat #gfilm »
- View All