Did you know that ‘The King’s Speech’ was nearly made on a budget for £1m as a multi part TV series for the BBC? That was just one of the amazing stories Gareth told us all at the opening to The Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass when he and writer David Seidler came to speak to [...]
Special event, Oscar winners Gareth Unwin and David Seidler on ‘The King’s Speech’ – watch on the blog
Was Friday night just a few days ago? It’s Monday morning now and Friday feels like an entire month away. Why? Because I have just spent the weekend in the trenches with 360 film makers on the Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass. And it was AWESOME! I will blog about it in the coming days and [...]
How can you go from being a struggling film maker and writer all the way to the Oscars and BAFTA's? Meet Gareth, he just did it!
FREE EVENT FOR London Screenwriters Festival 2011 delegates and The Guerilla Film Makers Masterclass delegates. Only a few years ago, Gareth Unwin was a struggling film maker, working on low budget films and shorts as a first assistant director. And on Feb 27th, he picked up the Oscar for Best Film, as producer of ‘The [...]
They have won Oscars and Sundance, made over 100 features and REGULARLY hire first time writers and directors… YOU NEED TO MEET THEM!
Welcome to American Independents Day in London, April 10th (at Regents College, Regents Park). PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL / LINK TO EVERY FILM MAKER YOU KNOW… A one day workshop with two of the biggest names in US Indie Film, Ted Hope and Christine Vachon. OK yes, we know, it’s SHORT notice. And yes it’s [...]
Last year I was Associate Producer on Stuart Hazeldines ‘EXAM’, a taught thriller set in one room. And yesterdays Oscars announcement was extraordinary news for one of our team… Stuart put it best on the Exam Facebook page… 'As EXAM blazes a trail across the worlds cinema screens it's important to remember that not all [...]
Note – this is the introduction video to the workshop (clip from the actual course below) // To celebrate the new year, we are running a special offer to help get your film made in 2011… and not just made, but made to world class, career launching heights. You may know that in 2009 my [...]
During the making of Gone Fishing, I made lots of new friends during production and also on the festival circuit. One person spanned both, British actress Kerry Finlayson who is also jobbing it in Los Angeles. She quickly became our LA correspondent for Gone Fishing, collecting prints from FedEx and delivering to the Oscars guys, [...]
So apparently I am both an Oscar nominated director and Sir Michael Grade agrees with my views on the British Film Industry!
So apparently I am both an Oscar nominated director and Sir Michael Grade agrees with my views on the British Film Industry. All beamed out to millions of viewers this morning on Sky News. Very entertaining! I did the interview yesterday literally at a moments notice (to be clear, I was in fact Oscars shortlisted [...]
After last weeks AMAZING inaugural show, we have been working hard behind the scenes to deliver a sequel that bucks the Hollywood sequel trend – a show that’s going to be better than the original! If you missed last weeks show, you can catch up here, and read feedback here. Or you can wait and [...]
It’s Oscars time. Last year, I had just got word from the Academy that ‘Gone Fishing’ was shortlisted, which I blogged about here. Last year the shortlist was kept secret, but this year it appears to be public (you can see the complete list on the Academy website here). And there is just one short [...]
Occasionally, I have written a blog that, as soon as is posted, I have had to pull. This is one such blog I wrote last December at the Bahamas Film Festival, when I got an email from the Oscars saying we were shortlisted… I have included the entire blog entry (we were told to pull [...]
Yesterday, I got an email from an Australian film maker who is now in the running for the Oscars, just as I was this year with Gone Fishing. As I have had a numbe5r of querries this week regarging the Oscars, I thought I would share his thougts and my response. Here’s his email… My [...]
I am still suffering with my tooth abscess, getting only a few hours sleep a night, and only getting a few hours relief four times a day as I get the sweet spot with the pain killers, before the pain returns. Of course this would all happen over a bank holiday! (and I am writing [...]
The Online Guerilla Masterclass about the making of Gone Fishing is currently being updated with the extra new sections on festivals, sales, marketing, awards and beyond. Anyone who enrols now for £69.99 will get these extra sessions for free (after these new sessions are live, the price will go up). I just wanted to share [...]
The Oscars are over and Spielzeugland (Toyland) won best short film. It’s a story about the holocaust which by all accounts is very powerful, and of course, it’s subject matter is always going to play well to Hollywood folk. Slumdog swept the board, and I am particularly delighted that my old film school buddy, Chris [...]
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Dale Sumner: Thanks Chris - look forward to hearing from your t...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
- Notes for emerging composers… how to get noticed by producers May 13, 2013
- Trust is the only currency in an untrustworthy business… stunning presentation from Producer with more credits than most DVD collections! May 10, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- julianfriedmann: RT @livingspiritpix: #Docsummit facebook page here http://t.co/Jeu2PSauNJ #Gfilm »
- grahaminman: RT @livingspiritpix: #Docsummit facebook page here http://t.co/Jeu2PSauNJ #Gfilm »
- livingspiritpix: #Docsummit facebook page here http://t.co/Jeu2PSauNJ #Gfilm »
- livingspiritpix: Links from #DocSummit: Are you a digital native or a digital immigrant? http://t.co/n45DYY4Ter #Gfilm »
- View All