Filmmaker Jordan Clarke has mounted an Indiegogo campaign to raise money to create a free legal resource for filmmakers about chain of title. Sounds dull? It is. BUT… without chain of title, your film will remain that thing you show your friends and family, explaining ‘it could have been huge if only I had taken [...]
This morning I got this email from Rob Millis from Dynamo Player with the news they are shutting down. I wrote about the shock waves Dynamo sent through the distribution world a few years ago, after which Distrify and Vimeo also joined the game by offering pay-to-view services. It’s a sad day as Dynamo were [...]
People invest in ambition, integrity, honesty, passion, hard work, experience, planning… do you have it? Getting cash for your movie is not as hard as it first seems, so long as you are reasonable in your proposition, good at networking, can answer a few challenging questions and can also fearlessly convey your passion for the [...]
We are about to launch an internet radio station dedicated to screenwriting (exact date TBC pending a bunch of tech issues we are ironing out now) – www.RadioLSF.com. The station will feature lots of screenwriting masterclasses and interviews, but we want to break it up with music (tracks ideally between 2 mins and ten mins [...]
As Cannes approaches, I thought I would share my video Cannes Guide for filmmakers and writers on their first trip. The whole experience will be outlook changing for sure and I recommend everyone involved in film attend at least once. Key things you will learn How to get your festival pass How to get screening [...]
Veronica Mars closed their Kickstarter campaign with 91,585 backers and a whopping $5,702,153 pledged. HOLY COW! It’s yet another colossal sign of the cultural and economic revolution into which we are living. Is this bad for the industry as the big players move into indie finance town? Or is it good news? What do you [...]
What makes a script that Richard Holmes could produce? Aside from being a great story well told of course… Richard Holmes ‘Tightly Resourced’ Films Screenplay Rules Write a genre film, but give it some kind of original and fresh twist. Write parts that actors would kill to do. Keep it short, under 90 pages. Keep [...]
Last week I went to visit the set of ‘Keeping Rosie’, the tenth feature film produced by my old chum Richard Holmes. This is his third feature film in as many years, which is no mean feat in the film industry. He seems to have worked out the perfect formula for story scale, size of [...]
The Guerilla Filmmakers Masterclass DATE: June June 15th / 16th VENUE: Regents College, Regents Park, London Price: £85 (inc VAT) with discount code CHRISJONES What’s the secret to making your movie? Believe, learn on the journey and take MASSIVE action NOW. Not tomorrow. Not one day, some day. NOW! We are living into an extraordinary [...]
Ahead of the next two day Guerilla Filmmakers Masterclass in June, I thought I would share some case studies of filmmakers who had done extraordinary things with little or no resources. ‘Ink’ is one such movie, just watch the trailer above, it’s mind blowing. This interview was taken from the Guerilla Filmmkers Pocketbook (and we [...]
A few weeks back I went to the BBC to record a lively debate on the state of British indie filmmaking, with Dominic Brunt and Marc Price. You can listen to the podcast above. Dominic Brunt is a TV actor turned director, whose recent release Before Dawn is receiving critical acclaim and Marc Price hit [...]
Over the weekend I put together this short slideshow from the London Screenwriters’ Festival. And in doing so, I was pretty much amazed and just how far we have come in three years – and now running our fourth festival this October. There is no greater indicator than the fact that we are now at [...]
Last week we completed the new draft of Rocketboy, by far the biggest reworking of the script ever undertaken. We sent the script to a handful of trusted people for feedback and we are still waiting from a few to come back. Waiting for feedback and getting feedback can be a nerve wracking experience, so [...]
When we hosted this workshop with Ted Hope and Christine Vachon on professional producing, we committed to filming and sharing it. It’s in four parts and really quite something. You can watch part one here. If you would like parts two, three and four, head over to www.AmericanIndependentsDay.com and sign up. It’s 100% free. About [...]
Last year I became aware of a low budget feature shot in Brighton called ‘Pictures Of Lilly’, and so I asked the director, Mark Banks, to share his insights on his debut production… Over to Mark… Preparation Ache. I don’t think you can over prepare for a shoot – I wouldn’t know though because I [...]
- Craig: I have been advocating this approach for some time...
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- London Doc Summit 2013 Success…. and one delegates first film… May 21, 2013
- Amanda Palmer and her TED talk on Crowdfunding, ‘The Art of Asking’ May 20, 2013
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- osmium10: Swiss screenwriting competition http://t.co/oWUk80UUG6 #screenwriting #scriptchat #gfilm #filmmaking #indiefilm #amwriting »
- ekingfarlow: HUGE thanks to @DocSummit & @livingspiritpix plus all the GREAT speakers & #GFilm helpers for an exhausting & inspiring #DocSummit wknd! :-D »
- SulledOut: RT @grahaminman: How To Fund Your #Film -Private investment, protected by SEIS / EIS #UK http://t.co/c642ddnoWz June 1st #London #GFilm #IndieFilm »
- paulmac708: RT @grahaminman: How To Fund Your #Film -Private investment, protected by SEIS / EIS #UK http://t.co/c642ddnoWz June 1st #London #GFilm #IndieFilm »
- View All