One of the problems with presenting Gone Fishing out in the world is that the soundtrack is very dynamic. The loud bits are very loud, the quite bits are very quite. Great if you are in a cinema, not so great if you are in a noisy café in Cannes! To combat this, I have [...]
Last Friday I collected the MO disk of the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix for the 35mm prints of Gone Fishing. I had a brief glimpse into the Dolby transfer bay, which was a surprisingly compact room, looking more like a machine room at a small post production company than an audio lab. But then I [...]
Today I went to Cinesite to meet with the legendary Mitch Mitchell, to discuss how we are going to get ‘Gone Fishing’ onto 35mm. Mitch is a very experienced digital post production guru, who has even written one of the best books on the subject – Visual Effects for Film and Television. Cinesite have worked [...]
I spent most of yesterday working with an editor friend of mine, Laura Kettle, in a large post production facility in West London. We had a number of jobs to do on ‘Gone Fishing’, first of which, was re-laying the newly mixed soundtrack onto 2 HDCamSR tapes. After some messing around we managed this fairly [...]
Since the premiere I have wanted to do a few very minor tweaks to the sound track. And I mean minor. When you see your film out in ‘the wild’ as it were, you always see something new that could be changed. This is the value of having the time to go back and make [...]
So now we have tow major steps to complete for Gone Fishing. First is getting it out there, getting the film working for us, especially with regard to things like film festivals, awards, agents, managers, studio executives etc. More on that in the next few days. The other major step is to complete Gone Fishing [...]
Six days to go…(blimey) And still the film is not complete! I spent this morning back at Midnight Transfer, completing the picture grade. Editor Eddie Hamilton came in to take a look and some very minor tweaks were made – one frame here, two frames there, shaved of shots – mainly because we could see [...]
Now the final mix is complete, I wanted very much to listen to it in Dolby Digital at home, on my own 5.1 system, as well as start the process for making a DVD of the completed film once everything else is done. The only problem is that I left the final mix on Friday [...]
In nearly peed in my pants with excitement as I heard the final mix for ‘Gone Fishing’ It is simply AWESOME! I have just spent the whole day with a team of audio wizards from Videosonics as all the final audio tracks are mixed into the single surround sound mix. Editor Eddie Hamilton popped in [...]
Today was the first day of the final mix for the soundtrack to ‘Gone Fishing’. It took place at Videosonics, where on and off for the last six weeks, sound designer Bernard O’Reilly has been crafting a wonderful soundscape for the story. Today was the start of mixing all of those elements, along with the [...]
Now I am more recovered from my ‘Xmas bashing’ food poisoning bout, I have been reflecting on the final grade for ‘Gone Fishing’. I have been amazed at how much effort and high-end technology goes into these final stages, and I am very pleased that I made every effort during script development to ensure that [...]
We completed the grade on Friday, but it’s got to today to update the blog, Christmas day (!), as I left the grade and immediately fell ill with food poisoning! So no celebrations for me this year. The grade went well. Extremely well in fact. Everyone is delighted with the outcome. However, there are few [...]
I spent today at Midnight Transfer, with senior colourist John Claude, and ‘Gone Fishing’ DP, Vernon Layton, conforming the movie and colour grading it. During the day we had a few visitors, other director and producer friends of mine, and some of the GF contributors – and everyone commented ‘Wow! It looks amazing!’ The first [...]
I have been frantically dashing around, making sure everything is ready for the final picture conform / picture grade tomorrow at Midnight Transfer. Thankfully I have been pretty organised through the whole process, so while it’s a long haul, so far there have been very few unforeseen hitches. Let’s hope it stays that way. (pictured [...]
Blimey! I really mean it. Blimey! How amazing is that!? Top right is the original image, shot by second unit director Simon Cox, and the image below is the final matte painting, Audrius Urbonavicius did for us, and comped into place. Above the new mountains are some whispy clouds which will be animated to enhance [...]
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Dale Sumner: Thanks Chris - look forward to hearing from your t...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
- Notes for emerging composers… how to get noticed by producers May 13, 2013
- Trust is the only currency in an untrustworthy business… stunning presentation from Producer with more credits than most DVD collections! May 10, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- rockyohio: RT @grahaminman: How To Fund Your #Film in 2013 - June 1st #London http://t.co/c642ddnoWz #GFilm #Docsummit #IndieFilm »
- robertshutter: RT @VHSMassacre Cool stuff! RT @grahaminman: How To Fund Your #Film in 2013 - June 1st #London http://t.co/RksiSUs5xX #GFilm #Docsumm... »
- VHSMassacre: Cool stuff! RT @grahaminman: How To Fund Your #Film in 2013 - June 1st #London http://t.co/kQmQ7JflXs #GFilm #Docsummit #IndieFilm »
- antonycousins: RT @grahaminman: How To Fund Your #Film in 2013 - June 1st #London http://t.co/c642ddnoWz #GFilm #Docsummit #IndieFilm »
- View All