Last Monday I was invited by the BBC to appear on their late night arts show on Radio 3, Night Waves. I was to chat with film critic Kim Newman about king of low budgets Roger Corman (in light of a new documentary that has just been released). You can listen to the show below [...]
As a film maker I am in the business of communication. It is the cornerstone of my business. Communicating big ideas with the world. Communicating stories with financiers, backers, actors, producers and broadcasters. And communicating with my community, sharing my journey and sometimes asking for help. As I write this I am downloading 79 emails. [...]
On Friday, Channel Four news came to interview me about the impact of the Sony Warehouse fire on the indie film business. You can watch that interview above. I really do believe that this fire is a tipping point for DVD. It’s not just indie films that will disappear from UK distribution, but many old [...]
So apparently I am both an Oscar nominated director and Sir Michael Grade agrees with my views on the British Film Industry!
So apparently I am both an Oscar nominated director and Sir Michael Grade agrees with my views on the British Film Industry. All beamed out to millions of viewers this morning on Sky News. Very entertaining! I did the interview yesterday literally at a moments notice (to be clear, I was in fact Oscars shortlisted [...]
Whenever I run an event, I always get handed scripts and DVDs from film makers who want some kind of feedback on their work. And when I have spent time getting to know them, I find it hard to say what I really want to say… ‘Sorry, but I don’t have time to even work [...]
You know, given that we are all in a communications business, I am astonished at how badly many film makers chose to represent their own image. As part of writing The Guerilla Film Makers Pocketbook, we have been conducting countless interviews, and alongside the words we feature a photo. Hey, no big deal you would [...]
Watch… and enter a parallel universe… I really wish I knew what these guys were saying! Last year we played as part of a big Korean film festival, and after that event, we were approached by a Korean Fishing TV channel to show clips, and presumably, get some fishing experts to talk about the film, [...]
A couple of weeks back I was a speaker at the Cheltenham Writers Festival (day 1 blog here, day 2 blog here), which was a fantastic event. I recommend you go next year as it’s such good value and superbly organised. During the event, I was interviewed by Sky for the Move Geek Show, which [...]
Yesterday I sent a request out to my list for information on film making websites that we are using right now – I wanted to figure out what indie film makers consider to be the best resources in 2009. I have had an overwhelming response, but keep them coming. If you haven’t already emailed me [...]
Finally I am getting my head around Twitter and what it can really offer us all. First off, the video here is from TED and is a good background to the creation of Twitter. So what have I learned so far? Well first off, you need a computer desktop version, you can’t rely on [...]
While I was in LA I did a great interview with IndieFest.com. It was just after I got back from Heart Of Gold and the weird jetlag combined with the very large café latte I had just drunk made for a particularly entertaining phone conversation with the delightful journalist, Laura Lee. It went live just [...]
Today has started with a series of interviews for Australian media – and as there is an obvious time zone difference, so I was up at 6.15am talking to down under drive time talk show hosts, bleary eyed with coffee in hand. These interviews are a warm up for The Heart Of Gold Film Festival [...]
I had a fantastic meeting this morning with the publicists who have been offered to us by the very nice people at Actix, who have partnered with us on the next, and potentially most exciting step on the Gone Fishing journey. We are lucky enough to have head honcho Julian Tanner, at Axicom Cohn&Wolfe handling [...]
I walked into the office at Ealing Studios today to a barrage of emails and calls regarding the Variety article. I had known about this since last week, but it’s just hit the streets in print, and it’s a WHOLE PAGE! This is very good PR for us as Variety is one of the top [...]
As we welcome in 2009, I was delighted to get notice of two separate articles about Gone Fishing in two very prestigious film journals. First off is a great write up in Daily Variety, a piece about how short films contend for the Oscars. It’s really great news for us. You can read the article [...]
- Craig: I have been advocating this approach for some time...
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- The Film Investors Check List – Answers to tough questions your investors will ask May 23, 2013
- Get Your Script Read AND Performed at the Actors Table Read. May 22, 2013
- London Doc Summit 2013 Success…. and one delegates first film… May 21, 2013
- Amanda Palmer and her TED talk on Crowdfunding, ‘The Art of Asking’ May 20, 2013
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- KINDTevents: RT @grahaminman: The #Film Investors Check List – Answers to tough questions your investors will askhttp://bit.ly/12YYdeq #gfilm #indiefilm #Filmmaking »
- PecintaMovie: RT @grahaminman: The #Film Investors Check List – Answers to tough questions your investors will askhttp://bit.ly/12YYdeq #gfilm #indiefilm #Filmmaking »
- grahaminman: The #Film Investors Check List – Answers to tough questions your investors will askhttp://bit.ly/12YYdeq #gfilm #indiefilm #Filmmaking »
- osmium10: RT @shericandler: Gr8 piece RT @osmium10: I mentioned you in this interview http://t.co/Yup6LhQQAS #filmmaking #indiefilm #gfilm @shericandler @Jon_Reiss »
- View All