Last week we completed the new draft of Rocketboy, by far the biggest reworking of the script ever undertaken. We sent the script to a handful of trusted people for feedback and we are still waiting from a few to come back. Waiting for feedback and getting feedback can be a nerve wracking experience, so [...]
Yesterday, we wrote the final few words of ‘Rocketboy’. It was an emotional moment to get to the end, but also an emotional moment to see what happens to these characters we have fallen in love with. To write those final few scenes that you have been dreaming of, structuring and planning for so long, [...]
Judy and I are closing in on the final few pages of ‘Rocketboy’ and I thought I would share our rather unusual writing process. You may know that I have been writing ‘Rocketboy’ on my own, on and off, for many years. The truth is I have lost count of the drafts, probably around 17 [...]
‘Welcome To The Punch’ writer director Eran Creevy interview about how he broke into the film business
As ‘Welcome To The Punch’ continues to pick up rave reviews, I thought I would share a rare, intimate and candid interview I did with writer director Eran Creevy a few years back about his debut feature ‘Shifty’. At the time, Eran had just begun developing ‘Welcome To The Punch’. What shines through in the [...]
The new Guerilla Filmmakers ‘Breaking Into Hollywood Pocketbook’ is now selling well via our site here (http://www.guerillafilm.com/the-hollywood-pocketbook/), and also on Kindle here. I have had several requests for information about sending a spec script to LA, and so I asked Gen her opinion on what trips up a Brit sending their spec script to Hollywood. [...]
So having been in a bad mood all day, it hit me tonight why. We spent most of the afternoon dealing with writing the death scene for a major and much loved character in ‘Rocketboy’, and then discussing how best we can inflict huge amount of angst, grief and pain on our hero. We literally [...]
Last night I caught Tarantino’s ‘Inglorious Basterds’ on TV, the second time I have seen it. Whatever you think of Tarantino as a filmmaker and screenwriter, there is no denying he is a master of the individual dramatic ‘set piece’ – a single scene that in of its self-contained-self, is absolutely electrifying. Like Hitchcock, he [...]
Writing for Disney and Pixar, from the London Screenwriters’ Festival… getting face time with our speakers
I thought I would share this session from last years LSF to give you a taste of what you can expect at the festival this year. Dave wrote Finding Nemo and his journey is as entertaining as Nemo himself! This year, you can expect similar conversations with David Yates (Harry Potter), Mike Leigh (legend!), Frank [...]
It isn’t grit or physical prowess that gives the feminine her heroic stature; it is her courageous ability to descend into the dark, forbidding places that lie within each of us in order to retrieve our essence. Strong stories aren’t masculine or feminine, they are a balance of both and understanding how to engage the [...]
On Monday Yvonne Grace will be our special guest at the Breakfast club in London – you can get more information and a ticket here… http://www.londonbreakfastclub.com The Breakfast Club is an initiate to connect talented writers, filmmakers and creatives by offering world class speakers, a killer breakfast and informal networking – and all before your [...]
One of the most powerful lessons I ever learned was that when someone doesn’t get what I am communicating, it’s not their fault, it’s mine. 100% my fault, and 100% of the time. I get it, when someone doesn’t understand what you are saying it’s REALLY frustrating and annoying. But it’s still your fault. This [...]
Having read literally hundreds and hundreds of short scripts over last few weeks as part of 50 Kisses, a piece of advice I was given many years ago is echoing through my mind. ‘You need to put your characters through more pain…’ This advice was given to me after a close and learned friend had [...]
A couple of years ago I was involved in Stuart Hazeldine’s cracking high concept Brit thriller ‘EXAM’. At the time we held a Script To Screen event, and we filmed it. So here’s your chance to read the script and watch the interview, and hopefully rent the movie or buy the BluRay. Here is the [...]
Transplant Log Line: In the near-future and using illegal cloning technology, a cardio vascular surgeon sacrifices first her ethics, then everything that is dear to her, to ensure her desperately ill son lives. I have just completed our application for the iFeatures initiative and submitted the treatment for Transplant. Above is a short teaser from [...]
If you read my blog you will know that I am all about encouraging action, and action RIGHT NOW. As I run the London Screenwriters’ Festival I am constantly being asked by screenwriters if I know any producers who would make their script into a movie – and while do know many producers, I also [...]
- Mark Morris: I think the promo proves you are making something ...
- Jacob: Great reply, wow what great video!...
- Mark Davies: Yes, this is seriously wonderful. Notwithstandi...
- Dane Jones: Beholder reminds me a little of the soundtrack fro...
- Dale Sumner: Thanks Chris - look forward to hearing from your t...
- Does the National Minimum Wage (NMW) mean the end of micro budget film making the UK? March 7, 2010
- BECTU debate and the National Minimum Wage… March 19, 2010
- Avid or Final Cut Pro X? Tips for setting up your first feature film cutting room. January 25, 2012
- It’s time for film makers to take action over distribution… it’s OUR problem, not theirs! April 27, 2012
- The phone rang, and from that moment, everything changed… PART 1 October 3, 2009
- Final Call for the London Documentary Summit this weekend May 16, 2013
- ’50 Kisses’ Promo Released… what do you think? May 16, 2013
- Space Oddity: It’s cool on SO many levels! May 14, 2013
- Notes for emerging composers… how to get noticed by producers May 13, 2013
- Trust is the only currency in an untrustworthy business… stunning presentation from Producer with more credits than most DVD collections! May 10, 2013
Watch The Most Recent Show
- robertgwilsn: RT @livingspiritpix: Top tweeters from #docsummit @FreyaB_73 @jakebexx @ShayanScott @studio75London @vegetarianjelly #Gfilm »
- osmium10: I always said this would happen http://t.co/oeWZKo4e2X #filmmaking #gfilm #scriptchat #screenwriting #indiefilm »
- Megachrist: RT @grahaminman: #VampireMob creator @JoeWilsonTV on @indiegogo http://t.co/aYcCBMsYkE #crowdfunding #indiefilm #gfilm »
- Megachrist: RT @livingspiritpix: Top tweeters from #docsummit @FreyaB_73 @jakebexx @ShayanScott @studio75London @vegetarianjelly #Gfilm »
- View All